Saturday, January 9, 2016

Try Something New

Always be open to trying new things, you never know what might happen.

I've always believed in not saying "What If," or having any regrets. In one of my previous posts I stated that you should always eat dessert first and to find something you love and let it kill you. It's not the money and how long you live, it's about how you live it and doing what you love in order to be happy. As long as your happy it doesn't matter; sure money comes into play because we are only human and no matter what it plays a part into being alive. 

So enough of my ramblings and deep thoughts into life (What can I say I'm an artist, we go through these a lot!), the reason for this specific post is to state to always try something new. With that I recently got to play around with a CNC Machine.

CNC Machining is a process used in the manufacturing sector that involves the use of computers to control machine tools. Tools that can be controlled in this manner include lathes, mills, routers, and grinders. The CNC in CNC Machining stands for Computer Numerical Control.

This specific CNC Machine was basically a huge computer controlled wood engraver. Now with this I have definitely almost experienced everything in the art area; computer work, pencil and paper, now a giant wood printer! Honestly it was a whole lot of fun playing around with a machine like that; I ended up making two signs (After countless mistakes), but I didn't loose a finger so that is good as well! The first sign was a test run and it turned out quite well that of course I gave it to my mother because she loves everything I do :D The second piece I did was for the Visual FX Company I work for; just a little piece I did for my boss for letting me come home for such a long time! 

This is the piece I did for Skulley Effects; I designed it in photoshop then printed it on the CNC Machine. Once cut I burned it with the torch to bring out the design in the wood. With such light wood and complicated design you could barely see it unless darkened up. As you can see there is a skull in the line design; a little Visual FX magic before your eyes you could say! 

This piece was the first test and run piece. It turned out very well and I gave it to my mother. It was burned as well after cut, but not as much. 



No comments:

Post a Comment